We’re glad you’re thinking of writing for Rainbow Rumpus! We are creating a new genre of children’s and young adult fiction. Please carefully read and observe the guidelines below.
- Stories should be written from the point of view of kids or teens with LGBT parents or other family members, or who are connected to the LGBT community.
- Stories should celebrate the diversity of LGBT-headed families and their communities.
- The primary plot point of the story should not be family structure or children being teased about their families.
- Stories for 4- to 12-year-old children should be approximately 800 to 2,500 words in length. Stories for 13- to 18-year-olds may be as long as 5,000 words.
- Please observe standard manuscript format: 12-point Times, one-inch margins, double-spaced text, and page numbers.
Stories featuring families of color, bisexual parents, transgender parents, family members with disabilities, and mixed-race families are particularly welcome.
Rainbow Rumpus pays $300 per story on publication. We purchase first North American online rights and may also request the right to post formatted PDF and audio files for free download, and the right to include the story in a print anthology.
All fiction queries should be sent to our Editor-in-Chief via firstname.lastname@example.org. A staff member will be in touch with you shortly.